For Christmas 2015 we are delighted to announce that Delphi Lodge is now available for a private, exclusive booking over the Christmas period for a minimum of three nights or more between Friday the 18th up to, and including […]
Delphi Lodge was built in the 1830’s by the Marquis of Sligo (Westport House) as a hunting/fishing lodge and is reputed to have named it ‘Delphi’ based on the valley’s alleged similarity to the home of the Oracle in Greece.
Used throughout the next 120 years by the family or leased out to various tenants for the fishing season – mostly British army officers or members of the protestant clergy.
In 1903 Delphi Lodge was visited by King Edward VII.
Delphi was also mentioned very favourably in several fishing travelogues of the 19th century. Particularly noted for its sea trout, not salmon. “An Elysium Piscatorum” (Walter Peard, A Year of Liberty).
Delphi Lodge became famous from 1958 to 1971 when run by Alec Wallace, a brilliant Trinity College mathematician. He ran the lodge as though it were an informal fishing house-party, attracting many famous guests, including Nobel Prize winners, poets etc who came to stay. “A Man May Fish” by Judge T C Kingsmill Moore, reputed to be Ireland’s best ever fishing book, devotes a whole chapter to Alec Wallace and Delphi.
The house eventually fell into a semi-derelict condition until 1985, when Peter Mantle, along with friends and investors, restored the Lodge, Cottages and Fishery back to the wonderful estate we know today. Although Peter Mantle moved on in 2010 to open a highly successful bone fishing lodge in the Bahamas, Delphi Lodge continues in the ownership of the remaining long-standing shareholders.
In 1995 the house was delighted to host a visit form Prince Charles.